FutureAs an organisation we have found ourselves growing very rapidly in recent times. Businesses across the board are becoming ever more aware of their environmental impacts and in the Lake District and Cumbria, tourism related businesses are perhaps aware more than most of the imperative to preserve and care for the environment around us.
As a result the demand for our knowledge in Sustainable Tourism continues to grow. Over half of our members have achieved an environmental accreditation or have received training from us to date. Our aim is to improve the environmental practices of all our members
Hand in hand with this the wider impacts of tourism on the area will continue to require our support in terms of financial resources for the repair, restoration and enhancement of the local environment.
Our strategic aims for Nurture Lakeland over the next 5 years are:
- Offer Sustainable Tourism audits free to all members and at a low cost to tourism operators
- Educate all of our members and the wider tourism communities operating around our large lakes of the problems being caused by phosphate in our lakes and the solutions
- Educate our members and the wider tourism communities of the impacts of visitor car travel on our local environment
- We will work towards a 20% reduction in visitor car use through education and providing information to staying visitors and accommodation providers
Funding for conservation
We are aiming to
- Continue to deliver financial support to our conservation partners operating in the Lake District National Park
- Deliver support to conservation partners in Eden District
- Develop new conservation support in West Cumbria
- Become the leading fundraising organisation for conservation across the whole of Cumbria
- Raise £1million for conservation
- Provide financial support to 100 conservation programmes