Resources for visitors
Follow the hints and tips below to look after this precious place and fill your holiday with new experiences.
Car free travel
The best way to discover The Lake District's true character - the sights, sounds and smells of the countryside - is to get out there and explore! Leave your car behind, avoid the stress of traffic jams and parking charges, and discover another side to this special place on foot, bus, bike or boat. Download our See More Lake District app and visit the GoLakesTravel website
Love Your Lakes
No trip to Cumbria is complete without some Lake loving! The lakes are beautiful and also fragile as they are susceptible to toxic blue green algae blooms due to pollution from phosphates. Unfortunately, phosphates are currently found in some household products and end up in the lake via the waste water system. Help to improve the water quality by choosing phosphate free products.
Support green and responsible businesses
Browse our Green Directory. All of the businesses listed are members of Nurture Lakeland and are part of a dynamic network supporting the sustainability of tourism across Cumbria. Our members will satisfy your eco-conscience!
Cumbria is the third largest county in England so there's plenty to explore. How about visiting the quieter corners of the county, such as the beautiful Eden Valley to the east. You'll find everything you need to know and more on our Nurture Eden pages.
Or print out some of our guides to inspiring days out from various areas in the Lakes...
Days out in the South Lakes Peninsulas
- Updated for 2014! Fantastic Food in the South Lakes
- NEW for 2013! Great Days Out from Broughton-In-Furness
Days out from Coniston and Hawkshead (orange)
- Updated for 2014! An Easy Day in Coniston - An Accessible Trail
- Updated for 2014! Great People, Great Places - A Heritage Trail
Days out from Windermere, Bowness-on-Windermere and Newby Bridge (blue)
- Updated for 2014! Cycle for your Supper in the Central Lakes
- Updated for 2014! Fun Days Out for All The Family
- Updated for 2014! Days out from Newby Bridge and Lakeside
- Updated for 2014! Explore Windermere and Bowness-on-Windermere
Days out from Ambleside, Grasmere and Elterwater (pink)
- Updated for 2014! In and Around Grasmere
- Updated for 2014! Discover Ambleside and Further Afield
- Favourite walks and days out from Rydal
- Favourite walks from Elterwater/Langdale Valley
Days out from Keswick (yellow)