Subscribe to our e-newsletter
Traditional Building Retrofit Course
The Low Carbon Cottages project will be presenting a half day training course on the Retrofit of Traditional buildings, from homes, holiday cottages and commercial buildings. giving the attendee a detailed insight to the particulars and building science of traditional buildings, practical information on how assess your buildings current performance and how to baseline, also providing information on traditional retrofit best practice and things to consider in material selection. There will also be information on renewables and current funding schemes.
The course will be held on Thursday 3rd April at the Blencathra Field Studies Council, Threlkeld, CA12 4SG from 13:00-17:00
Do you own, rent or manage draughty homes, do you have an office in a traditional building that’s cold, or is your holiday cottage costing too much to heat? Then this is the course for you!
The course will be appropriate for all those wanting a good overall practical understanding of how to treat traditional, solid wall and grade II listed buildings and how to improve their energy efficiency to save money, save carbon and improve the internal environment for the end user. So builders, maintenance managers, property owners and renters to building project managers and development officers would all benefit from the course material.
The contents of the course involve;
Traditional building sensitivity
- Issues of breathability and material selection
- How to measure your current performance (EPC, thermal imaging etc.)
- Using historic bills and monitoring
- Lofts, roofs, walls and floors
Airtightness and draught proofing
- What is airtightness, the importance and how to test it.
- How to draught proof, the materials and where to apply them
Behavioural aspects of energy efficiency
- How does behaviour effect energy efficiency
- What are your options (optional visit to FSC’s biomass boiler @ 5pm)
- Information on Green Deal and ECO
Q&A Session with Panel
- Allowing you to ask in more detail about your property(s)
The panel for the Q&A will consist of several impartial experts (Nurture Lakeland, Cumbria Action for Sustainability, Tadea, University of Cumbria and South Lakes Housing) who will be on hand to answer all your questions and provide you will specific feedback of the issues regarding your building.
The course will cost £25pp+VAT including tea, coffee and cake (£20 for Nurture Lakeland members)
Please see here for event poster