Search our website
Subscribe to our e-newsletter
Calling all Holiday Cottage owners for free EPC's
Free Energy Performance Certificates
Over the next few months we are looking for a range of holiday cottage owners to work with us on finding ways in which to improve the energy efficiency of their holiday lets in ways which wont compromise the heritage values of the property.
As part of this project we are able to offer up to 10 free Energy Performance Certificate assessments (worth around £120 each). To qualify for a free assessment, the property should not recently have been upgraded, and owners/managers should be willing to take part in some monitoring of the building.
Low Carbon Cottages
This cutting edge project aims deliver one of the key actions that has emerged from the Low Carbon Tourism Action Plan for the Lake District; that of reducing the carbon footprint of the holiday cottage industry and of enabling second home owners to minimise their overall environmental impact on the natural environment.
Over the next 12 months we aim to:
- Raise awareness of the local environmental issue amongst our holiday cottage visitors
- …and encourage them to take action to reduce their environmental impact during their stay
- Engage the self-catering sector with environmental best practice…
- …and install efficiency improvements into properties
- Reduce carbon emissions from the self-catering sector
- ... and encourage more visitors to stay with green accredited accommodation
We're very excited to be making a start on this ground breaking piece of work and are pleased that it is being so strongly supported by the Lake District National Park with funds for the project being provided by the Sustainable Development Fund.
Working with several key lettings agencies and a collection of holiday cottage owners we are out to prove that you can ensure that cottages meet the highest of environmental standards without it costing the earth, either to the owners or to the holidaymakers. We'll be looking at how to make traditional Lakeland cottages as energy efficient as possible without losing any of their essential character by finding 3 typical cottages to pilot our findings.
- calculating the carbon footprint of a small number of properties
- Developing 3 case studies
- working with 4 key lettings agencies
- talking to suppliers and negotiating discounts for holiday property owners
- raising awareness amongst holiday makers
- sharing the learning with other National Parks
There are many thousands of holiday cottages in the Lake District and many of them because of the traditional nature of their construction, can have a high carbon footprint. What we are aiming to demonstrate with this pilot project is that even the most traditional of properties can with a little help become more energy efficient.